Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I never went to Ricks


This past weekend I made a trip up to Rexburg, Idaho. It was my first time ever being there. The excuse was Jenni Jespersen's wedding reception. Sister Jespersen, as she was called on the ol' mission, was one of my favorite sister's in the field. She is one of the few that I've kept in contact with over the years. (A whole 6 years.)
My lovely friend Sabrina was the most kind and considerate to offer to drive up there, and offer her childhood home for our stay. The hospitality of the Boehme's was fantastic! My own room, home-cooked meals and the company were great. I didn't worry about a thing.
Our activities during our stay involved a stop at Smith and Edward's: Country Boy Store, going to Florence's for chocolates, grocery stores for food, and Walmart for photos. We also went to the temple, and drove around the BYU-Idaho campus. All weekend long I tried to get in touch with Jan or Hillary, who are rooming together. (It would be awesome to room with a cousin!) After not being able to catch them on the phone, I put forth some missionary effort. I called BYU-info, and found Hillary's old phone number. Since she no longer lives there, I asked where she moved; found out about Royal Crest. We drove around and found Royal Crest and I started aksing random people if they new my cousins. No one knew so I started to knock on doors. On the 4th, I had found their apartment. Both were at the basketball game. I found Jan practicing the national anthem and she did a beautiful job. Not only was she singing but she got us into the game free.
Now another friend that was with me is a bit of a photo fanatic. We headed to the Viking mascot for a picture. I had her camera in my hand and by some devilish power, it slipped out of my hands! From my mouth came an adamant-S h i t. It was said so solidly and firmly that 12 people, like robots, turned their head with gaping mouths open. I believe my face turned red. I gathered the broken camera and pieces and walked out of that gym with a gut wrenching feeling of guilt. Not for saying shit, as much as for breaking the camera. Luckily to lighten the mood, Krista was doubled over in laughter. Apparently, she'd never heard me cuss before, and also witnessed the robot heads. I replaced that camera yesterday to keep ourr friendship in tact, and I'll work on keeping a more prudent mouth.
I believe I never went to Ricks due to self-expression. There is no cussing, or swearing there, nor lounge wear in classes-people would stare.

6 comments:

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

Mary swears???? Who would've guessed? I was laughing pretty hard at your story. We are all allowed the s word once in awhile. You go, girl :)

Natalie

Rachel said...

How funny! Spencer had a similar experience with the S word standing in line at Costco when he suddenly realized he'd left his baby in the car the whole time! She was sound asleep thank goodness, and he wasn't really in there long at all, but I still like to tease him about it! And how fun for you to track down the cousins--I bet they loved that!

Holly said...

Funny story Mary. I can picture all the robot heads. Good to know I'm not the only one that unleashes a swear word once in a while, but I'm working on my problem. Now I only call people "jackass" in my head :) (just kidding, I'm really not too bad)

Jenni said...

I love it! And that's why you were one of my favorite sisters on the mish! It was great to see you at the wedding - thanks for coming. You were one of the very few that I actually had to introduce to Jared up there!

MiStY said...

That's my girl. A good solid Shit bomb never hurt anyone...accept for maybe those "virgin-eared" robot listeners :o) I enjoyed the story lots...looks like you had a lot of fun, you Potugal Sisters look like you were maybe a bit of a crazy bunch! Did she have any hot and single wedding visitors?

sinika said...

Hee! Hee! Love the story and love reading your blog Mary- your pretty hilarious! I love that you're an awesome teacher- teaching those kids and making an impression on them forever. Big job and so fun!