Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Duck Duty



I've adopted a wild duck! She's been sitting on a clutch of eggs. 8 to be exact. It's been quite dramatic. She's went missing twice now but has come back each time. It's sad that I am always a little worried when she's not around. Also, the students see me taking care of her, and she has a knowing gaggle of humans on the lookout. We can't wait for her babies to hatch. If they hatch.

The worst worry I had was that she got clobbered by a dog or some other feather plucking animal. Last friday after school, I left her with water and food, and on Monday, she was gone with a few feathers left behind. I didn't see her all day, and it was cold. The exposed eggs I thought might be dead. She was back on Tuesday, with missing feathers (Check out that photo)! Today, she was gone again, but showed up around 11 a.m. Phew!

I was however saddened when students reported to me that 5 nineth graders were trying to beat her up during lunch today. When I got to her, there was a Vice Principle on guard. Lucky Duck!

I am usually on patrol after school to watch disturbances, and I give her water inbetween my classes. It seems now that I'll have to have lunch with her too.

The only thing she is lacking is a name. What shall I call her. Let me know, and I'll announce it Friday to you and my students.

7 comments:

Shantay said...

I love ducks, they are so cute! I think you should name her lucky.

Susan Brady said...

I love wild birds, between our farm, Jamco Shop and Uncle Bobs Farm we have three pair nesting somewhere and everywhere. I haven't found the nests but the Drake and Hen always come to swim in the puddle on our lane. We haven't named them but that is a good idea, that is if I knew which pair was here and called them the right names. Oh well good luck with the Nineth Grade Boys. Love you. Aunt Susan

Jenni said...

Spartacus. That's an awesome name for a duck.

MiStY said...

I think you should name her Daisy Duck. I think that would be a cool name for her. You are so funny taking her water and stuff. Good job Pat I think it's kinda cute.

Grandma said...

How come I haven't heard from you for a long time? Love you, Grandma

MiStY said...

Aflac

Ammon

Anonymous said...

Poor little ducky. Ninth graders are the worst! Dad would be so proud. I like the name Lucky.