Jamie just called me. My little buddy Isaac is in the hospital. That is not a fun place for a 4 year old. I am dedicating this blog to him. I love you Isaac!! I remember when I was in the hospital. I was in the 7th grade. I got a staph infection from a puncture wound, I think. I was helping weed the neighbors yard for a Mutual activity. My finger kept swelling up and down. By chance I went to the doctor with Charlie for something else. I was admitted and Charlie was not. I was really shocked. I cried, because they had to give me an IV, and that's when I knew it was serious. I really don't like shots or anything pokey in my skin.
While talking to Jamie today, I was informed that he had an appendectomy and he is already out of surgery but should come home on Friday. I asked if the kids would be visiting and she didn't know, so I shared this little tidbit with her. After I was admitted to the hospital, I recall my dad coming twice, once to bring me a book and again with Kent Sorensen coming to give me a blessing. My mom, braided my hair, before the blessing and that's the only time I remember her. I should ask her if she came more than that.
I did happen to have a visit by a group of my friends from the neighborhood. Also, a surprise by a childhood friend's mother who worked at the hospital and ran across me while working. They didn't take the place of seeing Josh, Ben, Jamie, Charlie, Paul, Ephraim, Sam, Jennie or Jacob. None of my siblings came. It was a long and boring stay. I couldn't figure out why no one in my own family would want to visit me, and I felt really sad and lonely.
I have regrets about not visiting others while they were at the hospital. I never saw my friend Jessica with her broken back from a skiing accident, and I've felt guilt over that for a long time. I didn't make it to see Cherolyn with the birth of Eva, or Misty with any of her kids. I feel guilty for not seeing my own Grandpa Walt more than I did.
So a call out to all of you: Just visit for a little bit a family member or friend in the hospital to brighten a boring lonely place, and more importantly to remind them that they are loved.
5 years ago

3 comments:
Sad! Poor little guy! I LOOVE him! I hope everyone goes and sees him too and I'm sorry I didn't come and see you in the hospital. I had no idea that ever happened to you!
Good post Pat. That's a good reminder to all of us to get our butts up and go see the poor little fellas in the hospital. I'm not gonna lie to you, I think about being in the hospital three times now. The last two, I think I had a total of 3 visitors together. I have thought about that and sorta wondered why, but that can't be important... Just go see the cute little thing. Sorry about your little hospital stay, that's a precious story dude. Love ya
Sis - I love you and would have visited you for sure! But I think I was grounded to my bedroom or something...
Love you Mary.
Post a Comment