
This is my namesake.
She is my wonderful grandmother. You may never meet such a genuine person as she was. I learned more about her in this past weekend and I should have sought to learn them under different circumstances.
Her obituary read: Patricia Anne Wagner Cryer 1931~ 2009 Leaving a legacy of faith, resilience, creativity and love, Patricia Cryer died Friday, October 9, in Provo, Utah, the consequence of a cerebral hemorrhage.She is survived by her husband of 58 years, Walter Cryer and their children, Catherine (Thomas) Peterson, Thomas Hugh, Janette (Michael) Johnson, David John (Kristen), Lucretia (Tadd) Wright, Elizabeth (Layne) Bangerter, Bryan Wayne (Michelle), Emily Ann (Gregory) Rowberry, 47 grandchildren and 42 great-grandchildren. She was born May 9, 1931 in Lake Township, Allen Co., Indiana to Carl Louis and Lolo Lucretia Barth Wagner. She was preceded in death by her parents and six siblings. Funeral services will be held Tuesday, October 13, at 11:00 a.m. at the Lakeridge 3rd/6th Ward Chapel, 950 South 50 East, Orem, Utah. Friends and family may call Monday evening from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Sundberg-Olpin Mortuary, 495 South State Street in Orem and also Tuesday one hour prior to the services at the ward chapel. Interment will be in the Orem City Cemetery. In memory of Patricia, donations may be made to the LDS Humanitarian Fund.
The funeral was today. It came so fast. I felt many emotions but mainly that of love. Watching the preparations of my aunts and uncles, I saw so much tenderness. I saw brotherly love as I overheard uncle Brian and David share feelings in Grandma's office. I saw the strong sisterhood of my aunts as they rallied around all the doings of dressing their mother, gathering pictures, and supporting one another. I've seem my grandfather pause is so much gratitude for the thoughtfulness others have showed him in the past few days, he's also paused many times in thoughts of his beloved wife. I saw the heartache in his eyes, and I know he loves her more than anything in the world.
I saw 43 cousins with their children today stand in a primary room to practice "The Family is of God" to sing during the memorial service. That was where I felt one of the most powerful impressions I had. We stood there united for a common cause: the family. Whether we were singing for grandma, grandpa or our own parent it was in full respect and love for them. I did not hear one complaint about having to sing from anyone.
My testimony of families has greatly been strengthened. My respect for a mother and her sacrifices that she makes for family deepened. My sympathy for each sibling that lost their mother has grown, as you can never imagine the time for when your own mother will pass.
I love my dad for bringing my mom a corsage at the viewing-so thoughtful. I love Josh for openly sobbing on Grandma Luree's shoulder and reminding me that I have a most privileged name. I love Ben for getting a wink at the hospital and seeing his eyes brighten as he told me. I love Jamie for being my sister and just letting me stay at her house, so I didn't have to stay alone. I love Charlie for going to the hospital with me, and for writing his memories of Grandma. I love Paul for getting to the hospital on Thursday night, and making me feel better because he made it. I love Ephraim for bringing his whole family from Albuquerque to be with everyone. I love Sam for nudging me to sing when I couldn't, it'd snap me out of my tears and I could sing again. I love Jennie for thinking we couldn't just leave grandma in her casket all alone at the cemetery. I love Jake for passing out his service project bags today, and carrying on in an act of service just like Grandma would.
5 years ago

3 comments:
Mary,
I love you. You are so strong and sweet. I hope I can see you soon.
Thanks for sharing, that was really sweet. I'm praying that your family finds comfort. I love you Mary Pat!!
I'm so sorry Mary. Thanks for sharing this post. I've been wondering about you guys. Things like this snap me back into reality on knowing that we really don't know how long the people we love will be around...makes me want to go hug my family. Love you!
Post a Comment