Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Joe The Plumber

Actually, his name is Travis, and he is from RotoRooter. I have a basic toilet repair. The fill valve needs to be replaced. A complete toilet repair kit from Home Depot costs $21.48, just the fill valve replacement costs $6.67 (fluidmaster brand). While signing on the dotted line, the plumber said that their flat rate fee is $165. What the F%%*! Sticker Shock! That is ridiculous. The final cost will be a little under $200. That is bull shit. I will never again use RotoRooter. The lesson I learned and you get to take with you is this: Always ask the plumber what their fee is. The parts are cheap.

My final bill came to $180.13, and of all things he used the Fluidmaster repair kit. May you never need a plumber from RotoRooter!

P.S. Travis can do repairs on the side. I just can't tell his company. If you would like a reference, I'd call him. He was a good guy, and his base fee is a third of the big companies.

No comments: