Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Finger

This morning around 7:30, I cut my finger. I cut the middle finger on a bandsaw in my wood shop. It was an accident that never should have happened. After the cutting action on my finger, and a numbness I felt, I saw the blood. "How in the heck..." I wondered. Then the thought was, "It's not that bad." It's been tingling and throbbing all day.

A closer look at the bandsaw revealed that the tension was off, and it need to be adjusted. I have no idea how in the world, my poor finger entered the side of the bandsaw so perfectly to get chopped like that. Mind you I cut it on the side of the bandsaw away from the area you actually cut wood. It was an accident that didn't need to happen. I had noticed that the blade was off it's guidance course so to speak, but I didn't register the implications. I am happy that my finger was only scathed (crossing them that the cut one doesn't get infected), and that a student wasn't involved.

On a light note, I was able to give some of my rotten students the finger, under the excuse that I was showing them my accident...They all laughed, thinking I didn't know what I was doing. Karma might get me on that one.

5 comments:

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

So sorry Mary! So glad it wasn't worse. But I'm sure you'll make good use of 'the finger' with those jr. high kids :) Love you!

tammy said...

That is scary! You are lucky.

janbang said...

Oh...I'm glad that it didn't turn out worse. And I'm excited for you to go to Hawaii for Christmas...awesome! Love ya!

MiStY said...

Pat, we r now for sure more like one another. I too cut my finger on a bandsaw. It hurt but didn't bleed much and has left a numbness in my finger ever since and it was straight on my thumb. I just hope you didn't have it happen in front of students...if so, you probably had a good chance for a teaching moment huh. Better luck in future :-)

paulnmea said...

Mack and Owen could not get enough of your blood finger. I am not sure which emotion they felt more of- excitement over seeing blood or sadness that Aunt Mary was hurt. Boys. So glad your are in a safe zone AND getting a raise. Yeah!!