Last night I attended an hour crafty class, better known as Enrichment. It was a beading one, and I thought getting a free piece of jewelry was cool enough to make it. I showed up late, and left early. When I am at church functions I tend to observe, listen, and make smart, witty or what some people would say, smart alecky remarks. I like getting a smile out of people.
While listening yesterday, I overheard someone talking about work. The person described her coworker with the adjective of "gay", and said he was real fun. In the context, she was passing off the stereotype of a gay person so that the listeners could understand the type of person he was. Why does anyone care if he is gay? When I decode that, I take it as a negative connotation.
Why, when we describe a person do we say what they are instead of who they are? Listen to the phrases:
My gay boss. My handicapped roommate. My mexican student. That black woman. Why in the world does it matter?
I really don't care about the nature of people's sexual lives, or care of the color of someone's skin, nor does it matter to me if they are handicapped. I am on a new endeavor. When I am discussing someone, I will try to describe who they are not what they are. I'll watch my negative connotations.
5 years ago

4 comments:
Thanks Mary! I tend to get irritated when people do that too, but I'm sure I'm guilty myself. Thanks for calling us all out so we can be better and do better.
Mary! found your blog from provosts...er bladins. Loved your post. I have always believed that once you label someone you negate them.
Thanks for the post Mary. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.
A good goal for everyone. Thanks.
Post a Comment