Thursday, November 15, 2007

In the Classroom



Yesterday, I signed up with this blogger site, and thought a good thing to share with you is my classroom. When I say that I teach technology, many different ideas of what that is can play in your head. I have the best area at my school. I have 2 classrooms, 1 woodshop, 1 computer lab, 2 offices, and 4 storage rooms. I am in no-mans land with all the privacy I need. It's actually overwhelming, I have atari computers for 1983 still lurking in corners, and 5x5 inch floppy disks. All the kids I teach were born in the 90's and don't even know what a floppy disk is! Besides old hardware, software, and junk all about I am slowly getting it together. I figure if it's not done by this time next year, I might call hazmat!

As a teacher, I am introducing students ages 12-15 to the broad topics of Engineering Design & Problem Solving, Energy and Power, Manufactuing Technology, Construction Technology, Transportation and Communication Technology. I teach in a very hands-on way. Doing=learning. I just try to have activities and projects that students may remember. Typically, middle school students let all the information that is in their head fall right out when they pass under threshold of the room. The students and the activities are crazy. Parents if you want your kids to retain information-please ask them what they did at school. If you don't they won't process any of the information they gathered at school, nor will it be important to know!

I wanted to include some pics here of what it's like at Union Middle School in my class. Mi vida loca! The students and the activities are something else!



2 comments:

Jennie B. said...

Mary! How cute! I love seeing those pictures. You've done so much. It looks AWESOME!!!! I bet they love you there. Especially the duct tape boy.... he doesn't have to do any work! Love you, Mary! I'm glad you joined the blogging world!

Pete said...

Hey I'm still waiting for one of those Jersey's! Any-who your blog looks good!

Find a Date
www.poundinghearts.com